Welcome to the St. John's Blog!

St. John's Episcopal Church is located on the northwest side of Chicago, in the Old Irving Park neighborhood. You can learn more about us at our official web site. We hope you'll join us!

If you'd like to see a larger version of any picture in the left-hand column, just click on it. Use your back arrow to return to the post.


Thursday, December 3, 2009

Advent I sermon

Jeremiah 33:14-16 St. John’s Episcopal Church
Psalm 25:1-9 The First Sunday of Advent
1 Thessalonians 3:9-13 November 29. 2009
Luke 21:25-36 The Rev. Kara Wagner Sherer


Home Depot Greeter

I admit I am proud that I never shop on the weekend after Thanksgiving; I like to stay home and enjoy leftovers. However I found myself on Saturday, needing to do some Advent shopping. If my Sunday School class was going to make Advent wreaths I needed supplies. So I found myself in Home Depot on Saturday afternoon looking for greens for our wreaths. As I entered the store I heard a voice from behind a mound of Christmas decorations singing “Here comes Santa Claus” in a loud and somewhat out of tune voice. I thought he was mocking the Muzak so when I saw the Home Depot greeter I said, “You’ll be sick of that pretty soon.” “I know!” he said in a cheerful voice, “But it’s the first day of Christmas shopping and I love it!” He turned to the next customer coming into the store, “Welcome to Home Depot!” he handed out a sale flyer. Gosh I felt like a curmudgeon!

It was kind of like going into church on the first Sunday of Advent. There are beautiful greens by the front door, and wreaths inside, the Advent wreath is up, and the vestments have finally changed from months of green to beautiful purple. And then Jesus walks down the aisle and says, “Watch out! The world is going to end!”

I’ve been preaching for seven years, so it is no surprise to me that I have to preach the end of the world on the first Sunday of Advent. But it still annoys me. I still can’t understand why we are reading about the end of the world. Can’t we have some Advent peace and quiet?

We are lucky this year. We are reading from Luke, and he’s a little softer than the other gospel writers on the end of the world stuff. As I read and sat with it this week, I noticed something I hadn’t seen before. These warnings seem to go from global to personal; and Jesus gives a bit of advice about how to deal with the warnings.

First, Jesus talks about global disasters, “There will be signs in the sun and moon and stars.” These are natural disasters, part of living on this earth. These warnings sound a bit like the global warming warnings we hear now. Jesus says that when these natural disasters hit we should lift up our heads and have hope. Some people react to the warnings about global warming by denying it; or not caring because they won’t be alive when the world falls apart. On the other extreme, some people react with fear, paralyzed with the realization that everything they do harms the earth in some way. But Jesus suggests a different way, the way of hope. These warnings are an opportunity to do something, to change our ways, to take seriously the call given in our ancient story of creation; that we are not owners of the earth, but stewards, charged with caring for the gift of creation. In the face of disaster, we can act with hope.

In the second paragraph of the gospel, Jesus gets more local. He tells a simple story, “Look at the trees,” he says, “You know when they blossom that summer is near.” Read the signs he says, look at the realities. If kids have nothing to do after school but paint graffiti on our garages there is something wrong at home, something needed in our schools. Read the signs. If there are people pan handling at Six Corners then they need affordable housing, they need health care, and they need skills so that they can get jobs. Face the realities, says Jesus. But Jesus says that when we see these signs we know that God is near. Get close to the people who are suffering, because that is where you’ll see God.

And then Jesus turns the heat on. “Get rid of these distractions,” he says, “Dissipation and drunkenness and the worries of life.” The harshest warnings are reserved for our personal life. My kids are tired of hearing me say it, but screen time sucks brain cells. Dissipation is entertainment, whatever distracts us from facing the realities of life. Alcohol does that too…drinking is an escape from the real stuff we need to face in our own lives. Worries of this life? Too much shopping! Whoever says religion is an escape has never listened to the readings for Advent. Jesus’ words shine a bright light right on our personal stuff. And Jesus’ advice? Be Alert! Get rid of the distractions so that you can face reality.

In fact we should all be more like the greeter at Home Depot. He wasn’t thinking about the 25 days he’d be listening to the same song over and over again. He wasn’t thinking about the pressures he’d face if sales didn’t rise. He didn’t think about the day after Christmas when he’d be out of a job because the holiday rush was done. He was living in the moment, enjoying the music, connecting with the people who came his way, even the grumpy priest who didn’t want to be shopping.

When there are global disasters, Jesus says, “lift up your heads, have hope!” When there are problems in our community Jesus says, “Look at the signs! God is near!” When our lives are crumbling, Jesus says, “Let go of your worries and be alert! Pay attention to the moment, so that you will be ready for Christ to come into your heart.

No comments: